Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Made With Love

Since my main paper crafting obsession is making cards, I decided to devote my first project to this lunch box turned card organizer. I originally planned to sand it and paint it white, but the process took FOREVER. Some of the white paint is still around the creases and corners of the lid which I actually like even more than my original intention. It gives it a weathered sort of shabby chic look that I love.
Here's what I did:
First, I measured the box and cut out the pieces in my favorite paper from the Beautiful collection of the Wild Asparagus line. It took two pieces of double sided paisley/blue card stock and one piece of striped/green card stock. The handle on the top of this particular lunch box is easy to take off so I didn't have to hide any unsightly cuts in my striped paper. My corner rounder just happened to be the perfect size for the corners on the lid, so I didn't have to cut them by hand. For the latch I used a circle punch on the front piece of paisley card stock and then used my scissors to manually cut out the rest of the latch form. I then applied a medium layer of Mod Podge with a foam brush to a sanded Basic Grey lunch box. I did use a bit of thick red liner tape to hold the paper down while the Mod Podge dried. After my organizer dried over night, I wrapped some ribbon around the top of the box and applied two heart tags using my Quickutz dies, two jump rings, and an eyelet. I also wrote "made with" in my own handwriting on the top tag. The green and blue rectangles are all sanded. Since this paper has a white core it gave a nice look to coordinate with the weathered look the paint gives. The letter stickers that spell out "LOVE" are all coordinating Wild Asparagus card stock stickers. I used a liquid glue and blue microbeads for the centers of my Prima flowers. And...that's it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great lunch box. It's beautiful!

Marie said...

This is so pretty - love the paper!! TFS

Anonymous said...

beautiful lunch box! love that paper.

Kristine said...

Oh, that's soo pretty!! I LOVE it!! :) I've been reading more of your blog and I so admire you and all that you do. My husband was a firefighter for 10 yrs. as well as a John Deere Farm Mechanic and he decided after we had kids to give up the firefighter job, but he's a great dad and I just wanna say THANKS for all you do...for our country...for all those people you help and get to meet personally! Sounds corney prolly...I get sentimental at times. Keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

I want a lunchbox