Tuesday, July 3, 2007

This Soldier's Request

As you all know, tomorrow is a big holiday. As I'm sure you would have guessed it's especially important to me and my brothers and sisters in uniform. Here at Fort Campbell we are preparing for yet another deployment. Many mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, daughters, sons, and friends will have to say farewell to the ones they love. This deployment marks the first 15 month deployment this unit faces. Can you imagine not seeing the face of your child for over a year? It's heart wrenching. We don't become Soldiers to be your heroes. We become Soldiers to protect people we love and people we don't even know. It's a duty we are all proud of. It's not always fun, and yes, we complain. Haven't you ever complained about your job? It's never easy, but it must be done. The first time I marched in a parade was on the 4th of July. I was so excited and honored to be bearing our flag. As I marched down the streets I became more and more disheartened as I saw not one person stand up from sitting on the curb or a lawn chair as the flag waved by. Even as a child I knew this was an occasion to stand. Why didn't these children stand? And why didn't the adults? By the end of the march the only person who got up on their feet when I walked by with our nations colors was an old man in an electric chair. I was ashamed at the lack of respect from my own home town. The only person who even bothered to rise to their feet was a man who couldn't even walk. If this Soldier asks anything in return for the years I've committed to serving you it is to ask you and your children to stand up when you hear our National Anthem, the Pledge of Allegiance, and when our nation's Colors go by.

14 comments:

Corie said...

Wow. My family and I always stand up at parades, especially for THE FLAG. I cannot imagine that people would not, but thanks for the reminder.

Have a wonderful 4th. I know you all do not do this to be heroes, but you all are the true heroes.

Heather P. said...

I agree completely!! The people who serve in our military and their families sacrifice more than most of us will ever understand.

It's really sad to know that people look at our flag and see a piece of fabric, nothing more. You stand up for us, the least we can do is stand up for you!

Anonymous said...

Nicely put!!! I stand for all of those and encourage everyone around me to do the same! Enjoy ur fourth!!!
~Jenna

Melissa said...

I will do it with pride! Thank you soldier!

PineyWoodsPrims~Dena said...

I agree with you so much. God bless each of you during your deployment. That is a hard stressful times for your families and yourself. May God be with each one of you. Thank you for serving our Nation so very well.
Your story really touched me. I love checking out your site as well. Love it!

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, every day in school we had to stand and face the flag with our hands over our hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. They aren't allowed to do that any more and I suppose that has a lot to do with folks these days failing to show their respect in this manner. Do they still stand at sporting events while the Star Spangled Banner is sung? In general, people aren't as respectful of each other at all anymore. I choose to be respectful and would choose to stand on such an occasion. My thanks, admiration and respect go out to all the troops!

Anonymous said...

You may not be in the Army to be a hero - but to me you are one! I have will continue to stand for our flag and any time I see a US Soldier comming or going.

With Love,
Someone you protect

Susie said...

Thank you for a well-written post - I will put a link to this on my next blog post. And thank you for defending our precious freedom - you are a hero.

Suzanne @ Day to Day said...

This is a big pet peeve of dh and I as well. After 23 1/2 yrs military service we are still surprised by the lake of respect & caring the American people give.

Thank you for your service and be safe!

Debra said...

I completely agree with you. I do have to say, though, that many people don't know you're supposed to stand for the flag. That kind of etiquette isn't taught much these days.

I have so much respect for what you do and the sacrifices you make.

Anonymous said...

Indeed! I have always loved our flag, our country, our Pledge, and the priviledge of being a U.S. Citizen!

When those most priviledged elements of our lives are disrespected, it hurts. Thanks for loving what you do, and for serving with such lovely grace!

Anonymous said...

Laura, First I want to say thank you for serving our country and keeping us safe. I have a step-son that has done 2 tours and my husband has done 1. It is not easy leaving your family. Thanks! Also, I want to comment on your blog. It is wonderful! Thank you for sharing so many great ideas and to let us see what you create.

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

Please make sure that you keep my email addy so that when you deploy you can contact me to make sure that you get some love from Operation: MOM. God Bless You & all your brother's & sisters. Thank you so much for your service to our country.

Stampin_Melissa said...

Hugs to you, how disheartening to say the least. My DS is just 4 and we are teaching him to stand and place his hand over his heart for the national anthem, stand for the flag, etc. We don't live on post or he'd be learning to stand for retreat as well. I am happy to say that the public school he attends (pre-school) does say the Pledge of Alliegence every morning.

Thank you for your service in the protection of this great nation.