Monday, July 23, 2007

Zero Day

Work has really been consuming my life lately. I hardly have time to even sit down when I get home before I start doing the sleepy head bobble thing. I love being a Soldier, but like any job, some days are longer than others. As most of you have figured out by now, I work at training unit. The course is a couple weeks long, and today was Zero Day. We don't usually start with Day One in the military. I don't know why. It's just the way we are. Anyhow, Zero Day starts at around 0415 in the morning in the summer months. It's just way too hot to start later with all the physical activity that goes on. They run around and get yelled at just like you see on movies and television. Can you say "push-ups"? The main events for Zero Day are the obstacle course followed by a two-mile timed run. It takes a few hours for the students to get through all of that. There are 200 hundred of them after all! At the end of the run they get to take a little break, but then it's off to the class room for their first block of instruction. This whole Zero Day process is designed to weed out the students that aren't physically and mentally ready. We find out quickly who needs to work on strength, endurance, and especially who's afraid of heights. It's nice to know those sorts of things before we whisk them away in a high-flying helicopter. LOL!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the heat back there, and running around like that in all those clothes! I guess you can tell I'd never make the grade!

Estivalia said...

OMG, and I complained about gym class way back in highschool, lol!

Sarah said...

Omg that looks too cool!

Hiya chicky :P

wanda box said...

all I can say is wow you have a way cool job, stamping must be a vacation for you. thanks for the beautiful card I just got it today.
your the best.

Risa said...

"My hat goes off" to you Laura. My husband was in the Marines and when I listen to him talk about that stuff...I cringe sometimes. You gotta be made out of the "right stuff" to do what you do! And you know what...you got it!
Take care and it will soon be over. (that game is very addicting)
If you ever get a chance to visit Pogo, they have a game similar and it is called Phlinx. I enjoy playing games at Pogo.

Amie said...

Laura, What a great fun job!! Enjoy the rest of your week.

Amie xx

Sarah said...

Thanks for leaving such a gorgeous comment on my blog xoxo

Sarah x

Sharon said...

Youv'e been tagged. If you want to play just check out my blog at
Dew Drop Inn Designs!

wanda box said...

miss hearing from you, take care

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I envy you for having such a great job with the military. I thought about going in myself, but didn't. I'm a 2nd LT. in the reserves and teach army cadets. I enjoy reading about your military stories.