Monday, August 6, 2007

Fun Fold Album

It is SO hot outside! Today it even reached over 100 degrees out, and we're not even close to hitting the highs for the year. I've really been thinking about how nice a fall breeze would be these past couple of days, so I thought this next project was quite appropriate. I just live for those few precious days in the fall and spring that are absolutely perfect. You know, those days when you can open all the windows in the house, drive around town with the windows down, and take naps in the sun. Those are my favorite kinds of days. I really wish we had more of them in the year to enjoy. This project is a 6"x6" expanding album. I've been making them for a while now, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to have folded paper this way, so I'm not claiming any genius on this origami invention. I call it the "Fun Fold Album". The inside of my book is not ready for show, so you'll only be able to see the cover for now. It's made from left over cardboard (chipboard) pieces that were used to stabilize the 12"x12" paper packs. Here's what I did: I started with two 6"x6" pieces of thin chipboard and covered them using a combination of red line and liquid adhesive. I like to trim my paper to at least an inch larger than my finished product, so this piece was trimmed to 7"x7". I martyred the corners to relieve some of the bulk. I then took two 3"x7" pieces of complimentary paper and tore both long sides of each piece followed by distressing in a brown ink. On these pieces, I only adhered the short ends to my book covers. Sometimes I end up sliding an embellishment or other doo-dad behind this piece, so I always leave it open just in case. The next step was to attach the wide grosgrain gold ribbon. It is cut to one yard in length in order to have enough excess for a bow. I only adhered it to the front cover, so that my book will still open. (If you attach the ribbon to the back cover, this book will not open.) At this point, you can decorate you book however you wish, but in this case, I attached two Prima flowers with a chipboard button and fiber on the left. On the right, I attached a mini clip and a tag with my title. I figured this could easily be replaced with a photo if I wanted later down the road. The title is made of stickers. I attached excess rubber from my stamp trimmings then used baby powder on the remaining portion of the exposed sticker back to relieve the stickiness. I then used a strong liquid glue to attach the rubber to the card stock tag. I ended up inking nearly everything in this project for a consistent theme. And...that's it!

4 comments:

Brian said...

very nice I still have the one you made me a long time ago.

Heather P. said...

This is gorgeous! Loooove the colors and the design on the front. :)

Leslie Miller said...

Goodness, this is a beautiful little album! A keepsake, for sure. What a treasure!

Sue said...

What a gorgeous little album Laura :)