Thursday, May 22, 2008

Old Photos

One of the things I love about coming home is seeing all the old photographs my mother and grandmother have collected over time. We don't have too many keepsakes anymore since our home burned down in 2002, but that makes the ones we do have all the more special. Here are a few of my favorites:

I was our school mascot... a duck named Waddles.

This is from a musical I did in college.

Golf was my sport of choice in high school.

This is my sister and me climbing a tree in our great aunt and uncle's backyard.

This photo always makes me laugh. It's my mom, sister, and me. This one was for our Christmas card one year. This was in EMT school before I became a "real" firefighter.

It's strange to think I graduated high school six years ago now. I remember taking this photo on the playground in elementary school. I'm the kid laughing with hot pink shoes and crazy socks. This one is from a movie that was originally titled "Square Dance", but I think they changed the name after production was through. Rob Lowe was in it, but other than that I don't know. My parents used to work avidly in the movie business until a couple of babies tied them down. My nose will never change. Another movie set, but I don't know which one.
I played basketball one year, but I was rather horrible at it. I was great at stealing the ball, but I never scored once. This one is my high school freshman photo. I grew up mostly on the farm playing in cotton trailers and cattle stalls. My sister and I were cute once.
I remember this like it was yesterday. It's from a field exercise I did in combat medic school. Here I am tying up a ladder in the fire academy. My sister and I took dance from 1st grade all the way up until middle school, but neither of us can dance at all. This one is from family day the day before I graduated from Basic Training. Don't you love those glasses? They're called "BCG's" or birth control glasses. I never knew I ever had an outtie belly button!
These were two of my drill sergeants in basic training. They were MEAN!I never was good at taking regular "cheese" pictures, so this is what normally comes out. Well, I hope you enjoyed browsing some old pictures as much as I did. I really need to get some sleep. I plan on starting my journey back up to Fort Campbell, Kentucky tomorrow sometime. I have to head back out again on Monday for Fort Knox, so I want to be well rested and reorganized for another road trip. Bye for now.

6 comments:

Marie said...

These pictures are so fun!! I was SO glad in Basic at the AF Academy that even though I had to have a "boy" haircut, at least I didn't have to wear BCG's!!! To fun to get to see all of your pics as you have gotten "all growed up:...sniff, sniff. LOL On a serious note, I'm sure your family and friends are super proud of you and all that you have accomplished!! Okay, I'm going to bed now, 'night! :)

Michelle said...

Girl you are too stinkin cute in those photos.. BCG's ha ha ha I know that term.. You should be so proud of your growth and progression and of the women your becoming..

Michelle

Bee's Zen Garden said...

Those were fun! :-)

Anonymous said...

This was fun, Laura! I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Alhambra Club said...

What a great bunch of photos, glad to see that some photos were saved.

lauren said...

sooo cute! you're such a pretty girl! we had some good ole times back in the day at taylor high!